Monday, December 15, 2014

Strange Fruit (Hands Up Don't Shoot)

for Mike Brown

Hands up, hands up up don’t shoot!
still the same damn strange fruit
blood on the leaves and blood on the root
now it grows from the street
instead of the trees,
tear gas, sound cannons
and militarized police,

how many children gotta die
before we heal this divide?

societies irrational fear of black men
putting too many black kids in early coffins 
hiding behind badges, and 
stand your ground,
crying self defense 
as the lights go out
on the wrong side 
of the line between right
and now

and its a shout out but not
just about Michael Brown
it’s a road that every black man
in America’s been down.

like when I was driving in my car
and I heard the siren sound
pull over to the side and the
officer comes out,
“put your hands on the wheel
where I can see them NOW!”
unclipping the holster hand
gun on his belt,
all just for driving in the left lane
no ticket, no bullets, no harm
no foul.

or the time I was walking 
to work from my house,
getting pulled over just for
being out at 6AM 70 yards
away from my house,

“don’t move let me see some ID!
we’ve been having a lot of robberies you see
and you look kind of suspect to me.”

or the fear of our parents
every time we leave the house.

see I was taught how to 
act around police
since I was 11 years old
taught that I’d be shot
if I broke the mold

but even with our hands up,
sometimes they still shoot
black bodies dropping
the same old strange fruit
blood on the leaves
and blood on the root,

and I think it’s time we confronted the truth

its 2014 and we ain’t too far from the noose


No comments:

Post a Comment